It’s coming. It’s our Anniversary Sale 2016, and it’s here in 10 days. Mark your calendars. Don’t miss it. Can’t miss it. Friday + Saturday September 23 + 24 only!
- Team IVC
We want to remind everyone of our awesome Back to School Sale happening only until the end of September. 25% OFF all eyewear + Free AR upgrade on all kids packages! Only one more month left! Here we have a happy looking Dominick - our winner of a Samsung Galaxy tablet from our Summer Sale. He looks great in his new shades too!
Say hello to Karrie, the winner of our Spring Sale. Thanks for being one of our wonderful patients, Karrie, and enjoy your new Samsung Galaxy Tablet! We have great giveaways all the time. Just for saying “thanks” for choosing us to be your eyecare provider!
A big congrats to Lorelei, our winner of a Classic Bulova Watch as part of the Iconic Sale in February and March! We always have great prizes to give away to our wonderful patients. We cannot wait to see you soon!
Heathy Eye Foods
What we put in our body in the form of food has a huge impact on the overall and longterm health of our eyes. In addition to carrots, we’ve listed some of the healthiest foods for your eyes below!
• Dark Leafy Vegetables ⁃ Greens such as kale, spinach and broccoli contain vital nutrients such as lutein and zeaxanthin that are required for optimal macular health (small part of the retina responsible for detailed and colour vision). Prolonging the onset of cataracts can also be achieved by consuming healthy amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin. • Organic Egg Yolks ⁃ High amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin along with good fat and proteins are found in organic egg yolks. • Salmon ⁃ Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, fish such as salmon boost eye health in ways that no other food type can. Prevention of macular degeneration as well as dry eyes can be made possible by making sure your diet includes salmon. • Carrots ⁃ Of course the most famous of all healthy eye foods, carrots contain lots of vitamin A, which preserves eye health and visual function,.
So when deciding what to have for dinner, keep these foods in mind and you may be doing your eyes a big favour on the long run!
With the advent of prolonged computer work and office work, eye strain (also known as Aesthenopia) has become one of the biggest problems for our patients over the years.
Symptoms: • Concentration issues. • Sore neck, shoulders and back. • Light sensitivity. • Headache. • Blurry or double vision. • Watery, burning or dry eyes. • Tired eyes.
Causes: • Fatigue or visual stress. • Incorrect/inaccurate prescription glasses/contacts. • Bad lighting. • Prolonged computer work or reading. • Blue light exposure (computer screens, phones and tablets).
Treatment: • Update your glasses/contacts prescription to the correct, more current value. • Take breaks every 20 minutes. • Consider blue-filter lenses (exclusively available at Icon Vision Care!). • High quality anti-reflection coatings on lenses. • Specialized lubrication eyedrops and gels.
Come in or give us a call at 403-314-4888 today to see how we can help you combat eye strain and visual fatigue! It’s no fun to have tired, sore eyes especially if you do a lot of office-type work!
Dry Eye Syndrome (DES) is one of the most common eye ailments suffered by Albertans. Due to the numerous cause of DES, we at Icon Vision Care utilize many different ways to treat and manage this condition and it’s oftentimes annoying and even painful symptoms. Some signs and symptoms of DES include eye irritation, redness, itchiness , tearing or burning. If you suffer from any of these things, please give us a call today at 403-314-4888 and we’d be delighted to provide an appropriate evaluation. The following are some of the treatment options we may initiate:
• Artificial Tears: Not all artificial tears are the same! Some are aqueous-based, some are lipid-based, others are gel-based. There are even specialized preservative-free alternatives now when indicated. While the effects of artificial tears may be short-lived, the correct one for your condition may prove to be enough to solve your problems!
• Steroid Eye Drops: Over recent years, research as indicated that inflammation is one of the leading causes of DES. Steroid eye drops are typically used short-term to manage symptoms when used in conjunction with artificial tears. Like any prescribed medicine, however, steroid eye drops do pose a risk of increased eye pressure or even cataracts, so a thorough evaluation of your specific condition would be required.
• Restasis: Restasis is a specialized prescription eye drop used to decrease the inflammatory associations of DES. It also aids in promoting tear production in your eyes to keep them moist and healthy. Again, as a strong prescription medicine, its use and effects must be closely monitored by one of our doctors.
• Punctal Plugs: A punctual plug is a small, sterile device that is inserted into the small openings of the tear drainage ducts in the eyelids. It may be effective in keeping produced tears in the surface of the eye, thereby relieving symptoms of DES. We’re thrilled to provide this service at our clinic with great success!
• Meibomian Gland Expression: If it is found that the cause of your DES is clogged meibomian (oil) glands, our doctors may decide that expressing these glands may be the best mode of treatment. This involves heat and pressure along the lid margins to rid the glands of bacteria and other “eye gunk”. We are happy to provide this procedure when needed!
• Nutritional Supplements: A number of different nutritional supplements help in promoting healthy tear production and combating the ill effects of DES. Things like omega-3-fatty acids and flaxseed oil work wonders as treatment options. We’d be happy to evaluate your eyes to see if nutritional recommendations would work in your case!
As you can see, there are so many options to treat dry eyes. If you even think you may be a sufferer of DES, don’t hesitate to give us a call today at 403-314-4888 to book a consultation - most times it is completely covered by Alberta Health Care! See you soon!
Sale Giveaways: Fall Sale
Alyson also looks quite pleased with her CuisineArt Sparkling Beverage Maker + $100 Petro Canada Gas Card she picked up as winner of our Fall Sale! Drop by or give us a call today to see how we can be of service, and win yourself some great prizes!
Sale Giveaways: Back to School Sale (pt. 2)
Sale Giveaways: Back to School Sale (pt. 1)
At Icon Vision Care, we absolutely love helping our great patients see and feel wonderful about their eye care and eyewear. We also love giving away prizes! We have little Dane - one of our cutest patients - who looks absolutely stoked to receive his Kobo tablet for our Back to School Sale we had last year!